Tuesday, February 14, 2012

I Have Converted! Have I Converted?

A dear friend, who is a devout member of the opposite sects, told me that now that I am entrepreneur with my new book The Oy Way, I am now a Republican.

I wondered if I would have to give up any access to food stamps, since tea party conservatives decry the government’s interference in their lives.

Then I read a New York Times story (that cursed liberal media outlet) that described some of the people living in an ultra-conservative enclave in Lindstrom, Minnesota. Ki Gulbranson, who makes $39,000 a year, wants everyone to know he doesn’t need any help from the government.

The article said there is little poverty in Chicago County, however Ki “is counting on payment of several thousand of dollars from the federal government, a subsidy for working families called earned income tax credit. He signed his three school-age children to eat free breakfast and lunch at federal expense.” Oh, his 88-year-old mother has had two hip surgery operations paid for by Medicare, and is probably collecting her monthly Social Security check.

Ki is also quite proud that he printed t-shirts for the tea party campaign of his neighbor who ousted the region’s long-serving Democratic congressman, who was no doubt another one of those commie, pinko, big spending liberals.

Guess you can be selectively against “big government,” its outrageous spending programs, led by its “food stamp President,” unless it affects your own life.

Think I will remain an independent as long as I will still have access to food stamps, in case I ever need them.

No comments: